What is this?

This is basically where I write down stuff that I work with at my job as a GIS Technical Analyst (previously system administrator). I do it because it's practical for documentation purposes (although, I remove stuff that might be a security breach) and I hope it can be of use to someone out there. I frequently search the net for help myself, and this is my way of contributing.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Locale error message in MRBS 1.2.1

We are currently using this neat little php web application for booking resources (meeting rooms, video projectors, video conference equipment etc) called mrbs (Meeting room booking system, http://mrbs.sourceforge.net/). It's really a perfect (free) tool for our use - we tried to use Outlook/Exchange for this earlier but just had to give up - it was too complex for our users. Anyway, now especially our secretaries love mrbs, and as we all know - happy secretaries means happy sysadmins.

It's currently running on an old RedHat 9 server so it's time to move it to a new server.

After installing mrbs 1.2.1 on my new Ubuntu 8.04 server and importing the database from my old Redhat 9 server things worked fine - except one thing. On top of each screen it would always say:

[Warning: Server failed to set locale to "no_NO.utf-8" (Unix)] (in Internet Explorer)
or
[Warning: Server failed to set locale to "en_GB.utf-8" (Unix)] (in Chrome)

On the server my locale is en_US.UTF-8 (LANG=en_US.UTF-8) and after changing the parameter:

$override_locale = "";
to
$override_locale = "en_US-UTF8";

in config.inc.php the annoying error disappeared.

5 comments:

  1. Takk!!! MRBS er kjempebra, men denne feilen har irritert lenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Very helpful!

    One quick update - for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, you have to use a slightly different locale string, "en_US.UTF-8"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle, that was it with Deb Squeeze LTS

      Delete
  3. Nice Kyle, Had the same error with 1.4.10 on my Ubuntu server,, slightly different code worked great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete