What is this?

This is basically where I write down stuff that I work with at my job as a GIS Technical Analyst (previously system administrator). I do it because it's practical for documentation purposes (although, I remove stuff that might be a security breach) and I hope it can be of use to someone out there. I frequently search the net for help myself, and this is my way of contributing.

Friday, September 18, 2009

Windows 7 hibernate problems

Theres been one problem with my installation of Windows 7 so far. Ever so often when I start up from hibernate the computer will just omit the hibernate procedure and boot normally instead. It will only happen maybe one out of ten times, but it always seem to happen when I have a lot of stuff running so it's annoying!

According to Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/974772) this could be due to a an inconcistency between the physical amount of ram, and the size of the hibernate file. I have 4 gigs and the hiberfil.sys appears to be too small:

C:\Windows\system32>dir /a c:\hiberfil.sys
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is F08F-0F2D

Directory of c:\

17.09.2009 21:32 2 817 048 576 hiberfil.sys

Microsoft recommends increasing the size (run from cmd.exe as administrator):

C:\Windows\system32> powercfg /hibernate /size 100
The hiberfile size has been set to: 3756064768 bytes.

C:\Windows\system32>dir /a c:\hiberfil.sys
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is F08F-0F2D

Directory of c:\

18.09.2009 00:25 3 756 064 768 hiberfil.sys

Now I guess we'll just wait and see if it had any effect.

1 comment:

  1. Did it really help? I tried it and I noticed no difference really..

    ReplyDelete