What is this?

This is basically where I write down stuff that I work with at my job as a GIS Technical Analyst (previously system administrator). I do it because it's practical for documentation purposes (although, I remove stuff that might be a security breach) and I hope it can be of use to someone out there. I frequently search the net for help myself, and this is my way of contributing.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Upek fingerprint reader issue on XPS m1530(?)

Seems like theres a minor issue with the new software from Upek. Whenever the biometrics are turned on (and the Windows Biometric service is running) the CPU load increases noticeably. On my (fairly fast) system this is apx 3-4%, not enough to be a problem but enough to be annoying.

I doubt this is how it's supposed to behave. I have a colleague with a Thinkpad T61 who uses the Upek drivers provided by Lenovo through Windows Update. He seems to have no problems whatsoever, and there is no extra CPU-usage when enabling biometrics.

UPDATE: I was emailed by a very helpful suppport engineer from UPEK who told me that this is expected behaviour and that the Windows Biometric service would stop after apx 3 minutes of inactivity (ie since last time you have used the fingerprint reader). It appears he's right, so I'm a happy camper again. Hey Checkpoint - this is how you treat your customers!

No comments:

Post a Comment