What is this?

This is basically where I write down stuff that I work with at my job as a GIS Technical Analyst (previously system administrator). I do it because it's practical for documentation purposes (although, I remove stuff that might be a security breach) and I hope it can be of use to someone out there. I frequently search the net for help myself, and this is my way of contributing.

Friday, September 25, 2009

iTunes 9 - slow startup

After upgrading to iTunes version 9, iTunes is incredibly slow at starting. I have a library of about 2300 songs and it went from loading in about 5 seconds on the last 8.x relase to apx 30 seconds on version 9.0.1.8.

I tried a few tweaks like turning off automatic update on playlists, disabling automatic discovery etc but nothing really made much difference.

When searching through the library file (usually c:\users\{username}\music\itunes\iTunes Music Library.xml) i noticed it had a few links to a network share from which I imported a few files rather than to the local library folder on my c-drive.

These remained from before I checked the "copy files to the iTunes Media folder..."-option. Apparently iTunes 9.x now tries to verify these files upon startup (and fails when the network share is not available). Removing the files from the library and importing them again (creating copies to my local itunes music folder) did the trick. iTunes launching time is now back to what it used to be.

1 comment:

  1. Try startup manager this will help u alot in starting very quickly your itunes.

    ReplyDelete