What is this?

This is basically where I write down stuff that I work with at my job as a GIS Technical Analyst (previously system administrator). I do it because it's practical for documentation purposes (although, I remove stuff that might be a security breach) and I hope it can be of use to someone out there. I frequently search the net for help myself, and this is my way of contributing.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Non-supported network adapter on ESXi 4.1 vm

Got a VMWare vSphere cluster with 6 VMWare ESXi 4.1.0 hosts in it, and today when I was going to migrate a windows 2008 r2 server vm to another host within the same cluster I got the warning:

"Virtual ethernet card 'Network adapter 1' is not supported. This is not a limitation of the host in general, but of the virtual machine's configured guest OS on the selected host"

Turns out this vm still had a flexible type NIC installed, which worked fine but still gave me this warning when I migrated the vm. Removing the NIC and installing a VMXNET 3 adapter got rid of the warning!

Thanks to Ed at Linkfish consulting for the tip.

2 comments: