What is this?

This is basically where I write down stuff that I work with at my job as a GIS Technical Analyst (previously system administrator). I do it because it's practical for documentation purposes (although, I remove stuff that might be a security breach) and I hope it can be of use to someone out there. I frequently search the net for help myself, and this is my way of contributing.

Saturday, February 20, 2010

HP BladeSystem C7000 Onboard Administrator lost contact with ILO2 on a Proliant bl460c blade

A while ago we upgraded our HP BladeSystem C7000 Onboard Administrator (OA) firmware to the latest 2.60. A few weeks later we upgraded the ILO2 firmware on the blades to 1.80. All but one worked fine. The last blade would not communicate properly with OA. Nothing serious I suppose, but I'm always suspicious - thinking that small issues could lead to something horrible if not dealt with properly. Plus - it's annoying.

Symptoms:
  • I could not initiate a ILO remote control session from the OA web interface (it would time out and say "Unable to perform autologon").
  • The only way I could connect to ILO was adding a local user with HP Lights-Out online configuration utility (hponcfg) from Windows running locally on the blade.
  • The configured ILO DNS-name would not register with OA.
  • OA / Device Bay Summary would report "iLO name: [Acquiring]" and "iLO DVD Status: unknown".
  • IML Log for the blade was not available from OA.
I tried all tricks I could think of:
  • Ran a emulated eject/insert of the blade ("reset server bay XX" from OA CLI).
  • Reset all settings on the ILO card to default from hponcfg.
  • Rebooted the ILO card from hponcfg.
  • Upgraded ILO2 firmware to 1.81
  • Restarted OA.
However - what finally solved it was simple enough. I simply reapplied the 2.60 firmware upgrade again. Fair enough.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, this is very helpful! I had the same problem on our c3000 enclosure.

    Rico

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had something very similar (no ILO2 web interface) and HP had me regenerate the Web SSL certificate from the SSH MP menu.

    That worked and is worth trying before reflashing your firmware.

    JohnK

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHER CAN I FIND THE SSH MENU OPTION?
    TEJPALP@HOTMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if he means this:

    In Onboard Administrator:
    Enclosuer Information > Active onboard administrator > certificate administration

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am having a problem with the blade ilo connecting directly using the OA anybody can help with this the other blades work but this one will not connect directly using the OA

    ReplyDelete